The African Network for Agriculture, Agroforestry and Natural Resources Education ANAFE is a 15-year old African network presently comprising 130 African universities and colleges in 35 African countries. ANAFE's mission statement is "Agricultural Education for Impact on Development".
As a grass-roots organisation of member institutions, ANAFE relies on a regionalised approach for decentralised decision-making, planning, implementation, monitoring and control. The ANAFE network consists of four regional chapters known as RAFTs (Regional Agricultural Forums for Training - one each in Eastern and Central Africa (ECA), Southern Africa (SA), the Sahelian countries (Sahel), and the Africa Humid Tropics countries (AHT)) - and 21 national chapters known as NAFTs (National Agricultural Forums for Training).
The African Network for Agriculture, Agroforestry and Natural Resources Education is recruiting for the position of an Administrative Assistant to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya reporting directly to the Network Manager and the Executive Secretary.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Administrative Assistant will have the following principal responsibilities:
- Assist the ANAFE Secretariat in preparing requests for release of donors' funds and overseeing RATFs' activities.
- He/she will act as the focal point for the calculation of travel advances as well as travel expense claims.
- Procurement assistance: Assist in the procurement of goods and services and ensure regularity and transparency of procurement processes and delivery.
- Operations assistance: Under delegation from the Executive Secretary and the Network Manager, assist with office operations to ensure a smooth workflow. Liaises with the operations units of ICRAF for various support services required.
- Finance and Programme Support: Work closely with ICRAF Finance Office to:
- Manage all transactions according to financial regulations
- Follow-up on payments;
- Assist in budget preparation and monitoring;
- Prepare bank reconciliations and financial returns;
- Follow-up of day-to-day correspondence and generally contribute positively to team work within ANAFE.
- Provide all required administrative support to the ANAFE Secretariat
- A Bachelors degree with excellent numerical, writing and communication skills.
- At least three (3) years of experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization, NGO, research or academic environment with multicultural dimension,
- Knowledge of web site design and management.
- Good judgment, ability to take initiative and work under minimal supervision,
- Be mature, well organized, reliable, have initiative and the ability to work well under pressure.
The position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of two (2) years subject to a six (6) month probation period with potential for extension subject to satisfactory performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), P.O. Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email: icrafhru @ cgiar.org
Applications will be considered until 19th January 2009 and should indicate "Application for Administrative Assistant-ANAFE" on their application letters and email submissions.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF by accessing our web site: http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org