Would you like to work in a challenging environment and develop a career while achieving lasting development results?
SNV Kenya is looking for a:
Main Area of Focus: SNV-MAP program
Duty Location: Nairobi with frequent travel within the country
SNV is a Dutch based international Development Organisation that provides Capacity Development Services to local institutions and organisations in more than 30 developing countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
Started in 1967, SNV program in Kenya is organised in 3 multidisciplinary portfolio teams of about 8 core advisors each. The program is organised in three portfolios based in South Rift (With an office in Nairobi), Northern Kenya (With an office in Nanyuki) and North Rift (With an office in Eldoret).
SNV Kenya focuses its work on poverty reduction through achieving impacts in two major areas: (1) sustainable and equitable Production, Income and Employment (PIE) and (2) access to Basic Services (BASE). Our advisory services are focused on three sectors: Agriculture (value chain development), Renewable Energy, Water and sanitation.
Governance is an important cross-cutting issue; Accountability, Sustainability, gender equity and social inclusion are key (good) governance principles pursued by SNV within the sectors.
SNV contributes to poverty reduction by providing capacity development services to partner organisations at “meso” and national level in order to improve their performance, so that they can make better deliberate choices, deliver appropriate services to their constituencies (or members) and defend the interests of poor people.
SNV Kenya WASH Programme
The SNV Kenya programme in theWASHsector develops and applies innovative solutions for increasing access to water and sanitation in rural and peri-urban areas.
SNV focuses on four Programmatic areas:
Rural Water Supply: supporting districts to
(i) improve functionality of rural water facilities by strengthening capacities of local actors (local SMEs/entrepreneurs, private sector, and communities to develop and manage water supply systems; and
(ii) develop the planning and implementation capacities of National Water sector Institutions, WSBs and County Governments for more effective monitoring and planning and equitable resources allocation
WASH in Schools (Advocacy): This involves
(i) development of School WASH value preposition for Kenya and
(ii) working with other partners to implement School WASH in Kenya.
Socially responsive Commercialisation: Peri-urban and small town water supply program provides capacity building and technical back-up support to small utilities to improve their performance and outreach of their services
Sustainable Sanitation and Hygiene for all: innovative approaches in sanitation and hygiene promotion that are technically suitable, culturally acceptable and economically sustainable.
By addressing the issues that obstruct access to WASH facilities and services, we aim to contribute to:
- Demand articulation: Strengthening local actors (government and communities) in formulating their needs into clear demands.
- Demand responsive WASH infrastructure and services: Increasing the availability of sustainable water and sanitation infrastructures and services, and ensuring sustainable operation and maintenance solutions for WASH infrastructures.
- Improved access to sanitation services/facilities;improved hygienic practices and behaviour changes (ie through community led total Sanitation and Sanitation supply side development)
- An improved learning environment for children: Increasing the access of children (with a special focus on girls) to child-friendly WASH facilities at schools. This includes the provision of market-based solutions for the menstrual hygiene of girls.
- The up-scaling of interventions: Increasing WASH coverage by developing local capacity to up-scale WASH interventions and establish public/private partnerships.
- Knowledge based development: Creating a learning environment that enhances knowledge development, management and application. Knowledge-based decision making in the WASH sector.
- The implementation of national WASH policies and strategies: Locally trigger WASH development by supporting decentralisation and reform processes and structures.
The WASH Advisor is a local position that will work closely with other SNV advisors and MAP team in further development of strategies to promote market based solutions within the WASH sector.
The WASH Advisor will be based in Nairobi working under the supervision of WASH Sector Head of SNV Kenya with the following key responsibilities:
- Support implementation of WASH sector programme within SNV and MAP
- Participate in research, business modelling/programme development and implementation of public private partnership models in WASH sector
- Assist the MAP - WASH sector manager to ensure effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Develop effective and collaborative working relationships with other development partners, financing institutions or other like-minded organisations and potential private sector companies
- Establish strong working relationships local businesses, NGOs, private sector and academics in field of WASH sector
- Contribute to economic and social analysis of sector interventions and ways to involve women in WASH sector supply chains
- Work closely with M&E and results management teams within MAP and SNV to improve learning, documentation and dissemination of emerging lessons
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Business/Marketing, Strategic Management, Development Studies, Agriculture, Rural Development, Civil Engineering, Public Health or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in value chain development, small and medium enterprises development or private sector promotion of which at least 3 years should be within WASH sector
- Knowledge and experience of supply chain strengthening for WASH products, private sector involvement, and market based solutions for sanitation
- Strong knowledge and experience in WASH sector planning, public private partnerships in the sector
- Knowledge about emerging sustainable WASH solutions, business models, approaches and concepts
- Pro-active attitude, but also patience, and active networking, lobbying and knowledge brokering skills with clients/partners
- Advanced skills in participatory methodology, techniques, coaching, learning and team building;
- Experience in partnership building
- Committed to and enthusiastic about finding sustainable development solutions, especially on making markets work for the poor
- Very strong team player and possesses excellent inter-personal communication skills as well as results orientation
- A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritising and organising
- A person with a high degree of learning attitude, self-confidence, and flexibility;
- Highly skilled on computer and internet based research skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written in English
Estimated Start date: 1st June, 2012
How to apply?
Please send your application letter and CV containing 3 referees to email@example.com(att. HR Officer) before 10th April, 2012 with reference to“WaSH Advisor – Nairobi/MAP” as cover letter title.
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
Closing date: Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Type of contract: Local